Thursday, November 7, 2013

Jan Smith's Cooked Salsa

My Mom made what I consider the best salsa in the world. I just loved it.  She cooked it, and canned it, and I loved it.  God rest her soul. I finally found something resembling her recipe in her notes.  I gave this a try, and the first time out of the gate it was good... but I'm thinking of ways to tweak it, which I will mention below:


  • 4 Lbs of Tomatoes (I used Petite Cut Hunts Canned Tomatoes) - Fresh would probably be better, unless you get those nasty tasteless bastards.  If you use fresh, cut them up in the Cuisinart.  
  • 2 Onions Minced (Cuisinart)
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper (Red ones are sweeter.  They say they taste the same as green ones but that is bullshit.  Red ones are more expensive, but red ones ARE sweeter.
  • 1 Small Can of Diced Green Chilis (I would definitely increase this next time and use a large can.  It was just too small).
  • 1  Jalapeno chopped (I would use a small can of diced Jalapenos next time)
  • 1  Tbsp of Garlic Minced
  • 1/8th a cup of Lemon Juice
  • 1 Tablespoon of Salt
  • 1 Handful of Cilantro (I'm thinking of add this after I cook it)
  • 1 Tablespoon of dried Oregano
  • 3/4 cup of distilled white vinegar (I might try a bit LESS of this next time)


In a large pot combined it all and bring to a boil.   Cover and simmer 5-10 minutes.  That's it!

So there it was.  Great salsa.  When I try it again adjusting things here or there, I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment