Monday, January 6, 2014

Naan - Stonefire

I'm a fan of Indian food, and here in Utah one of my favorite places to eat is the Bombay House.  Whatever I have there, I always order Naan to go with it.  As an aspiring Indian Food Chef at home, I've always wanted to make homemade Naan.  I found a recipe that somewhat replicates the effect of the heat of a clay oven, and I'll share that recipe with you some day soon.  The problem is the Clay Oven used in Indian Restaurants cooks food at such a high temperature in such a specific way that it is difficult to fully replicate at home.  I've managed it... although it is a lot of work.

But this is not a recipe post, this is a review post.  I recently discovered Tandoor Baked mini Naan from Stonefire.  Stonefire is a company that focuses on authentic bakery items.  Check out their website for information, product, and recipes.



The product above is NOT what I am reviewing. In fact, I can't find the product I have on their website. I got the product at Costco, so perhaps it's a specific exclusive item only sold at Costco.  I'm not sure.  But what I am sure of is this: It is a great product.

Sure... it's not like fresh Naan that comes out of the Clay Tandoor Oven at the Bombay House.  Or even the version I make at home (recipe coming, as I promised!).  But they are... easy to cook (pop in the toaster) and tasty!  For simplicity, if you are cooking up some Indian food, and you just want to keep the bread part simple... I can't think of an easier way than this.

If you've heard other companies that do this, and have compared, let me know, we'll do some research on the topic.  But right now, this is so darn simple I'm sticking with Stonefire.  I just pop it into the toaster, and when it comes out I ladle homemade Tikka Masala (recipe coming at well) on top and it is wonderful.




1 comment: