Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook - Revised Edition

The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook - Revised Edition


A few years ago I was in Costco and saw this book. Not sure what impressed me to buy it... but I'm sure glad I did.  The thing that really got me about this book was that it had so many notes in it about what they did, why they did it, and how they did it.  They test not just recipes but ingredients and have handy notes about all of them.

This might be my FAVORITE cookbook.  The Fannie Farmer Cookbook is certainly basic, and this covers all the basics as well, but with better pictures, notes, and recipes.  My oldest son likes to cook on Sundays for us with his girlfriend, and they always choose a recipe from this book, and it's ALWAYS good.  

If anyone wants just one book to learn how to cook with... this is IT.  Forget all the Modernist techniques, if you want simple enlightenment for your family in the kitchen... this IS the book. Seriously.  I play around with lots of other cookbooks and ideas, but if I had to choose just one to start with and live with, this would be it.  It's all you will ever need... until you start playing around like I do with different techniques.  

And just one thing to add: I LOVE that they test things.  They try it 15 different ways, sometimes more... and it's just refreshing to know these people love food, they test how to cook it and you can feel that the technique they are offering aren't just their home version... they've rigorously tested different ways to do things.  It's refreshing.

I found my copy at Costco, but you can get yours here at Amazon:  The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment