Thursday, March 13, 2014

Greek Chicken*****

Years ago I found a recipe for Greek Chicken in the following cookbook:







The Good Housekeeping Step by Step Cookbook - 1997 Edition

The title above is linked to what I BELIEVE is the same book on Amazon.  The picture Amazon shows is not the same as the one above, but both are dated in 1997.

My experience with the book can be found here:  The Good Housekeeping Cookbook.

As for my version Greek Chicken, first a little background.  The first time I made this dish it was a stunning success.  I made it often, and I had friends asking for the recipe.  And yet, I haven't made it in four years.  It just slipped under the radar because I cook so many different types of meals not.  So last night, I fixed that, and my family sat to dinner with Greek Chicken again.  VERY WELL RECEIVED.   Very much worth the 5 star rating:  Now that we had it again, everyone is excited to have it repeatedly.  So here is the recipe, as I cook it, which is similar to but still different from the recipe in The Good Housekeeping Step by Step Cookbook.

INGREDIENTS


  • 8 ounces of Feta Cheese Crumbled - Really you can use more if you want, you can't have too much Feta!
  • 2 Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
  • 6 Skinless boneless chicken breast halves* (about 2 lbs)
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour or a can of Wondra
  • 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
  • 2 Cups of Chicken Stock
  • 1 Can of Diced Tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
  • 1 Bunch of Fresh Spinach (washed and trimmed of stems)
*If you buy those huge plump hormone filled breasts you'll want to half them.  The better what to do this is by weight, which is why I included it right there: 2 lbs!  And hell if you have been paying attention you already know I'm going to say try this with Chicken Thighs instead.  I will be better! 

INSTRUCTIONS


  1. Take the Feta Cheese and put it into a bowl and mash it up with a fork if it's not crumbled already.  Add the lemon juice and oregano and mix and mash. Set aside.
  2. Get out your chopping block and a heavy mallet.  Beat the chicken thin. About 1/2 inch is what you want.  Tenderizing like this doesn't work as well as it does with beef, the chicken tends to break apart.  If you got the thighs you won't need to pound them at all, they are already thin enough.
  3. Now spread the good feta cheese mixture on the chicken and fold the pieces in half. You are essential making a feta cheese sandwich out of chicken!  You can pin them together with a toothpick.  Sprinkle both sides with flour, salt and pepper. I give quantities above but when I cook I don't use quantities. I just crack fresh pepper and crack fresh salt on them and dust them with flour.  Sometimes I add some oregano, or I'll use a Greek Seasoning from Spice Islands.  
  4. Now heat your oil to just smoking in a fairly large skillet and then put in the chicken. You want to brown them, about 5 minutes to a side, get a good golden brown crust.
  5. Then add the Chicken Stock, can of Diced Tomatoes, and the cleaned spinach.  Bring to a boil...and simmer for 20 minutes or so, till the chicken is all the way done.
  6. Serve it hot!  
As I said before, this has become a family classic.  Very simple, and always very good.  







No comments:

Post a Comment